Wednesday, June 30, 2010

2nd Summer Block Party

Well, I finally am able to post the results of our charity quilting event of 2010, the 2nd Summer Block Party. We had 13 ladies there (with a few others in spirit), and, nicely enough, we had four new ladies who read about us in the newspaper article that I wrote in the Hartford Courant .
Everyone seemed to have a great time and ,boy, did we get a lot done!!!
This year the neighborhood consisted of a few new things and some businesses, alas, had to close down.
The Founding Father's House was still cutting a 'foundation block' of sorts... just that we used it for the backing of our QAYG blocks (all done in beiges and greens-- the backs, that is).
We decided to 'outsource' the equipment at the Sew-er Dept, because of the 'fuel cost' it had with the Delivery Service. These (sewing) machines went to the following businesses...

The Bank of Beijing where we made Chinese coin strips (lots were made, which means we will have a great project in the future to put together). Some really good research was done by Janet G regarding the colors of ancient Chinese coins (soft greens, mauves, grays, sandstone, and others), so those colors all seemed together nicely. We even had a 'cash drawer' where they were placed when cut into 6 strip segments (we called it 'making change' and 'cutting the deficit'). We even had 'armed guards' to pick up and deliver the strips that were cut at the Strip Club. (Don't worry, it was a squirt gun on loan from Janet G).
The US Postal Service where we took envelope blocks that we had made as a 'homework assignment' a few years ago and 'sorted the mail'. Some blocks had to have the envelope flap sewn to them (lick and seal the envelope, so to speak). These got to a stage of being pinned together in rows/columns and will be worked on in future months.
The Better Batting Mattress Co. was new this year... it recylced old 'bedding' (batting) to make the QAYG blocks, using a consistant center strip and multi strips for Heartstring blocks.

The Italian Restaurant seemed in very good standing again, this year, and I think if all the lasagna strips get worked on before our next meeting, we should have enough to make 4 lasagna quilts, total!! (Last time we had enough to make two). We almost got one completed at the party, but Marilyn had agreed to finish the top at home-(thanks Marilyn!).
The Landscaping Co didn't get much business this year for some reason, and that came from the BBMC.
It was SUCH a hot day (this was the hottest July on record!!), that the Foundry (where the iron workers were) was only half-staffed (one iron). That actually worked fine.
The Designer's house was busy from the start with two children's quilts (yellow centered heartstring blocks, made by Margaret M). They got put together to the top stage, but they will need a few borders to make them bigger!
There was only a few incidents that needed to be attended by the EMTs at the Emergencey Medical Center...
The Strip club was VERY busy, in fact, so busy that they even cut the material at the bottom of the pile (for the lasagna quilts) that I forgot to put aside for the borders!--OOps! They were faster cutting than I was saving! LOL
We also had a new business open up, called the Hog-Tied Deli. We got to sandwich things together (backing, batting and quilt tops) that had been in the 'frig' for a while. We got 3 quilts tied and opportunities to tie a few more at upcoming mtgs. We really need to go get more "sandwich fillings" and we are now able to with the help of our church's outreach committee's donation.
The Bordello and the Massage Parlour are necessary but sometimes barely acknowledged. This year was no different.
I did have a survey, so I hope those who took them home, will fill them out and return them to me. It only makes for a better party the next time around.
Hope to load photos soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment